Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Three to Thirty

Over the past few days I have seen glimpses into the future. Caed is growing up and I'm not sure I love it. He has been asserting his independence by trying things on his own and voicing his own opinion. (That part I can live without. Mommy calls it "sassy mouth".) But just yesterday as we were out for a family day, I looked into the backseat and saw Caed, not as a 3 1/2 year old, but as a 14 year old. There he sat, his baseball cap on, torn jeans and exuding every bit of confidence that a grown man would possess and said, "Hey, Mom. What's going on?"

What's going on? My heart is breaking, that's what is going on! It seems like just yesterday I was popping his paci back into his mouth to gain those 5 precious extra minutes of sleep, or reviewing bottle packaging to ensure they were all BPA free and now here sits a small man in my baby's car seat.

Granted, I know he is still 3 1/2. He reminds me of that each and every day when he cries after skinning his knee falling off his bike, or telling me he is afraid of the storm. I know that everything comes to an end so that there may be another beginning, but I'll hold my babies for just a bit longer if you don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment